Friday, September 03, 2004

Trip To The Future - Delayed

I just finished reading The Digital Bits website (DVD reviews and information) and I am slightly miffed at Paramount, though only slightly. You see, Tuesday 9/7 was supposed to see the release of the Star Trek: Generations Special Edition DVD, not any more. Paramount mistakenly printed on the case that a Teaser and Theatrical Trailer were extras on the disc, but they're not there. Sites reviewing the disc mention the misprint and blow it off as a minor mistake, and I agree because the original Generations DVD has them and most Star Trek fans already have the bare-bones non-anamorphic first disc, so it's really not a tragedy, but Paramount has been undecided what to do about it. Today I learn that with only 4 days left until release, they're recalling the entire run to reprint a spec-insert removing 4 words! Needless to say the there will be retailers that will not ship back pallets of the DVDs already in their warehouses, so some fans will still find them on shelves Tuesday and I hope to be one of them. I could give a crap that there are 4 errant words inside the plastic cover, I want to see (and hear) Generations in anamorphic widescreen with a (highly rated) DTS 5.1 soundtrack. I won't go nuts if I don't find it, as the delay should be minimal (a few weeks?), and I have plenty of DVDs left to watch, but still, it's the principal of the thing. Also, you're now going to get the eBay freaks hitting all the stores Tuesday morning at opening times to horde the DVDs that do find shelf space only to claim "rare misprint" or "early release, in stock!" for $200 on eBay or other auction sites. Parasites.

On a similar note (about DVDs anyway) I have not yet watched The Passion Of The Christ, and may put it off a few days as I have to get myself in the mood to sit through it. I haven't seen it at all but I've heard it's quite brutal so I need to get into the right mindset (if there is such a thing). The same with Schindler's List, it's a great movie, but I really have to be ready for it.

I did check out most of The Lion King 2: Simba's Pride DVD and I have to say I'm not disappointed. The original Lion King DVD has a nice Disney Home Theater 5.1 Surround Mix that accentuates the surround and LFE (Low Frequency Effects, aka bass) giving it a nice open, booming sound field, sadly The Lion King 1 1/2 and now The Lion King 2 don't have this same treatment so the LFE are nearly non-existent. I guess Disney feels that loud booming bass or an "open" soundstage might frighten young children, which is odd because there are some truly frightening visual moments in The Lion King already, so what if the sound of an elephant feels like it has mass or a stampede feels as threatening as if you were really there? So I'm glad TLK has it, but it would have been nice to have a consistent Home Theater mix for the sequels.

So, my scheduled trip to the 24th Century on September 7th has been potentially delayed, but I have enough to keep my mind occupied until it comes out. I have another trip scheduled on the 21st to A Galaxy Far, Far Away....

Fox had better not find a way to delay this trip unless there's something really special they plan to add!

RobMac

No comments: