Saturday, September 04, 2004

Took A Trek Today...

I'll get this out of the way first, I was hurting today...alot. Nothing much left my kidney today (stone-wise) and I just get the feeling that something big is on the way. Being that I was in alot of pain I really just sat on my ass and didn't do much, except watch Trekkies & Trekkies 2. See what I think of Trekkies 2 in my review.

I went online today to visit that Galaxy Far, Far Away again and was a bit frustrated with all the glitches since Publish 10 went live this week. Every now and then the makers of Star Wars: Galaxies tweak the game to fix bugs that appear or streamline gameplay or change the rules, each time they upload major changes they're called a Publish and we're up to number 10.

With this one they changed the way people become Jedi. They change this every so often and I really don't have an interest in becoming one because it's such a convoluted process. Over time you've had to dip your hand into the various Professions (Artisan, Brawler, Marksman, Medic, Scout, etc) and earn experience in several different fields to become "Force Aware" (though it was never releaved which fields gave you this ability and so players would "waste" months building up experience in every field only to never become Force Aware or worse, to have the makers change the rules on you sending you back to square one), that then gave you the ability to look for Holocrons that could give you a clue as to what to do next to follow the path towards Jedi. Well, the Holocron idea seems to have been dropped and who knows what it's really based on to become Aware, but now there's something called "The Old Man" who you have to hunt down and hope he "appears" to you to give you guidance (I guess ala Obi-Wan's Ghost). Where "The Old Man" resides and how long you'll have to wait for him to appear seems to be on everyone's mind now (that's assuming you're Force Aware remember, if you're not, don't even bother...).

Since everyone's looking for The Old Man the Cantinas are nearly empty (this is where you go to heal from battle or meet up with friends) and the Medical Centers have lost most of their doctors who are also out on this quest, and as a result it's very difficult to get healed from battle damage or death! This also presents a problem since it appears most players are coming back into the game to go on this hunt and the servers are overworked, this makes gameplay for everyone very "jumpy" and makes you "warp" (you could run on foot for a few seconds and all of a sudden - POOF! - you're 100 meters BACK to where you started from and have to start all over again!). It's very frustrating and it seems those not interested in searching for The Old Man are not coming back until this insanity settles, which leaves even less people in the Medical Centers and Cantinas!

But that's neither here nor there, or there nor here, but if here was there then I'd be there already and wouldn't need to go there since there is here....my brain hurts....

RobMac

No comments: