Wednesday, September 08, 2004

The Third Option

What I refer to as The Third Option whenever I visit a doctor keeps its track record alive yesterday, much to my chagrin.

I was supposed to have a post-op visit with my urologist yesterday at 4:40pm, so I get there around 4:30pm (although I know I probably won't even make it to the isolation room for a good half-hour) and around 5:05pm the Queen Nurse behind the patient-proof glass calls my name, so I answer by hobbling up to the window and leaning down so I can speak under it so she can hear me;

She says "Who are you here to see?"
I said "Doctor So-and-so." (name omitted)
She says "He has no office hours today...maybe you should make an appointment instead of just stopping by next time."
? ? ? W T F ? ? ?
I respond with a polite but frustrated "What?! No, I had an appointment. Someone called me two weeks ago the day after my procedure and told me to be here September 7th at 4:40pm for my post-op follow up visit. Today IS September seventh, isn't it?"
She says "Yes, but I don't think someone told you to be here today..."
I said "Well I do! I wrote it on a sticky note as soon as she said it and stuck it on my computer so I wouldn't forget; it's been there for two weeks!"
She says "That's not possible...."

This is where I start to get mad, and here's why;
Instead of just telling me what the hell is going on she berates me for making up an office visit because it's not at all within the realm of possibility that someone there screwed up, God forbid they should admit a mistake. I hate people that continue to argue over something instead of trying to rectify a situation; they'd rather make it worse than make it go away.

So I come to find out that I have the appointment today and I ask her no less than three times (much to her chagrin!);

"That's for tomorrow, the eighth of September at 4:40pm....that's Eastern Time, right?"
"Yes, because he's not in the office on Tuesdays, he does his operations and rounds at the hospitals on Mondays and Tuesdays"
...she had to turn the knife one last time. Fake Power, I hate it.

The Third Option is what happens when I see a doctor, I'll go in thinking "One of two things will happen, either A or B...." and then a third option appears and throws me completely for a loop.
So yesterday, its record stands strong.

So I go back today and see the doctor and I am told to get a KUB X-ray of my kidney so he can see if there's anything to see and bring him the films, meanwhile he's sending my stone fragments to be analyzed to see exactly what they're made of, this will help determine if the sodium bicarbonate I take every day is worthwhile and also how to go about treating it. I am scheduled to have my stent removed (and possibly replaced, pending him "getting in there" to see what he can see), so on the 23rd I again go to the hospital to have people gawk at my genitals and stick things up there....

On a lighter note, yesterday saw the return of the new season of The Screen Savers on G4TechTV, now from Los Angeles instead of San Francisco and with a new co-host, Alex Albrecht (Patrick Norton got married and his wife didn't want to move to L.A.....best of luck Patrick, we'll miss 'ya!), so it's good to have the show back with new stuff.

Also last night was the second episode of Father Of The Pride (Larry's Debut, And Sweet Darryl Hannah Too) and while not as funny as the first episode (What's Black And White And Depressed All Over?) it had its share of belly laughs, which is far better than most shows these days.
I highly recommend checking it out.

RobMac

No comments: