Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Target Misses What Wal*Mart Hits

So I go looking this morning for the Star Trek: Generations-Special Edition DVD which Paramount officially recalled on Friday, just 4 days before it's supposed to be released due to a misprint of a few words on the case insert. It mentions as extras "Teaser Trailer and Theatrical Trailer" but they were left off for some unknown reason, so to correct this heinous crime Paramount tells stores to return thousands upon thousands of DVDs already crowding warehouses across America, but I knew some wouldn't, it's just not cost effective, or some just don't care.

So I'm at Target when they open at 8am and there's one other guy there and he runs to the DVD section (I hobble) and I can see he's getting frantic searching every end-cap, aisle and bin for some elusive DVD (now I can't be certain it was Generations he was after), but he left without buying anything and looking really pissed off. I look and of course, nothing. I really didn't expect to find it so easily. I did, however, pick up Clerks.X (The 10th Anniversary 3-disc set of Kevin Smith's first film), of which they only had 3...(THREE!? for the entire stock?) so it wasn't a total waste.

So I drive to another Target about 5 miles away (since I think Target's the only store open this early) and same thing; no Star Trek: Generations. So I decide on a whim to try Wal*Mart, thinking that they usually suck so bad that maybe people won't go there or (more likely) that the employees just don't care about a studio recall, but I'm not sure what time they open, but I check it out anyway. I get there and they're open! (Turns out they open at 7am) I mosey on down to the Electronics area and lo-and-behold, Generations, lots of 'em. So I pick one up, go to the register, sure it's not going to accept it and cause a problem, but nope, it scans just fine. I pay my $15 and leave.

So now I have something to do today before I go to see my urologist....

RobMac

No comments: