Monday, March 13, 2006

Can You Hear Me Now?

Well, allot has happened since my last post this morning.

The first thing is that my Human Resources department, that told me I was "terminated" in 2003, was actually referring to my insurance coverage, which is not true, of course.

So after doing some more digging with them (second and third call) I found out that they were talking about a form regarding my insurance plan that was not mailed back, but the form in question didn't need to be mailed back as I was making no changes to my plan or coverage (there are several to choose from and I've never changed and the forms only need to be mailed back when a change is being made) so someone entered the wrong information and that's what they read to me earlier (without telling me it was a form), although it had no impact on my coverage or plan since I was still covered until this year.

Then I contacted my company's insurance department, a department dedicated to questions about coverage, not the goings on of the parent company itself, and found that I was covered under something called the Rule 4 Extension, which basically says that my insurance coverage would continue for two years beyond the year in which I went out on a Leave Of Absence (which was 2003) so it expired December 31, 2005. However, I was never aware of this Rule 4 Extension and was therefore not informed my coverage would end January 1 of this year. I was advised to contact my local office to find out more.

I called my local office (where I work(ed) ) and since the person involved in setting up Return To Work Physicals was not in this late in the evening I left a message on her voicemail asking her what I needed to return to work.

So tomorrow I hope to hear back from her (if not I'll call again) and be told either A) what I need to get in order to return to work (meaning I am NOT terminated) or B) that I no longer work for them, in which case I'll need to find out when I was terminated and why I was never notified of the termination (and then I may need to look into legal action).

Hopefully it will be A, in which case I'll do whatever I can to get back to work (Part Time if I'm able) even though I may not be medically ready, I don't think I can hold out much longer and I should count my blessings I wasn't fired.

I'll keep you up to date on what is actually going on when I find out the whole story myself, but since I was told this morning that I was terminated, it's been a long, hard day, and I'm exhausted, so I didn't get as deep into it that I should have from the start. I was in such shock I couldn't think straight.

That's the problem with big companies, not only do they not talk to each other (Employer company & Insurance company), but they don't even talk within their own departments (HUman Resources & Insurance Member Services) within the company, so no one seems to have the whole picture, you can only get bits and pieces and have to add them all together yourself to try to get the whole picture.

RobMac

No comments: